A punch clock, also called a time clock, is a time tracking system that records working hours of hourly employees.
How Does a Punch Clock Work?
A punch clock device records the work hours of hourly employees by using timestamps or by filling up timesheets with an online system.
The working times of each employee can be used to process their pay and make sure the staff scheduling was accurate.
A punch clock is a useful tool to simplify employee management in various organizations and industries.
Why Use a Punch Clock?
Using a time clock allows managers to spend less time manually managing employee timesheets.
Punch clocks are typically used to automate the recording and validation of working hours.
What Are the Advantages of a Punch Clock?
The advantages of a time clocking chip reader are:
- Saving management time
- Reduce pay processing errors
- Avoid time theft
- Simplify tracking of absences and lateness
What Are the Disadvantages of a Punch Clock?
The main disadvantage of using a punch clock is the resistance to change by employees who may sometimes take a dim view of such a tool.
Managers must therefore make sure to reassure them and to explain the new process in order to calm the apprehensions of their team members.
How to Choose a Punch Clock?
In order to select a punch clock for a workplace, managers must first assess their needs. They must make a list of the characteristics they are looking for and draw up a budget. They can then compare the different time clocking systems.
It is also necessary for them to test several punch clocks to validate how they work and make an informed choice.
What Are the Different Types of Time Clocks?
The various types of time clocks used in business are typically the following:
- Punch clock: uses a chip on a badge, card, or RFID token
- Digital time clock: records information using a personal identification number (PIN)
- Mobile time clock: uses a smartphone
- Mechanical punch clock: uses a physical device, like a punch
- Landline time clock: associates a fixed phone number to a specific place
- Biometric time clock: checks the unique characteristics of the employees
- RFID or bar code time clock: records hours worked using a physical reader and a card or token with a chip
What Is Punch-In Clock Software?
A punch-in clock software allows managers to track the time of their employees digitally by recording their arrival, departure, and breaks. It also helps with time and attendance by filling up the timesheets in order to process employee’s pay.
Punch-in clock software enable managers to make sure the work hours of their employees match the schedules. Some software also offer additional functionalities such as a professional chat or HR features.
What Are the Benefits of a Punch Clock App?
The benefits of using an employee time clock app include:
- Saving time
- Having a better control over working hours
- Reducing time theft
- Generating complete reports
- Reducing payroll expenses
- Improving security
- Increasing accuracy in the payrolls
- Increasing productivity
- Simplifying schedules