How to Track Time and Attendance?
Tracking time and attendance for employees can be done using manual or automated systems.
With manual systems, employees have to record their work hours on paper or digitally. Employers then rely on the honesty of their employees, as manual systems cannot be used to accurately verify their time and attendance.
With automated systems, employees clock in and out on a specific device that authenticates them using their PIN, photo, location, and/or other identification information. Employers can accurately monitor the work hours of their employees. Common time clock devices include:
What Are the Benefits of Tracking Time and Attendance?
Benefits of tracking time and attendance include:
- Minimizing the risk of human error;
- Saving time and money;
- Improving productivity;
- Instilling employees with a sense of responsibility;
- Providing better data on labor cost;
- Increasing payroll accuracy;
- Preventing time fraud.
Which Features Are Typically Included in Time and Attendance Software?
Time and attendance software typically includes the following features:
- Online employee punch clock;
- Online or cloud-based timesheets;
- Reporting and analytics tools;
- Overtime tracking and management;
- Messaging system;
- Role-based user access level controls;
- Lunches and breaks settings.