A mobile time clock is a system, often in the form of a software application, that collects employees’ work hours using a mobile device such as a smartphone or tablet.
How Does a Mobile Time Clock Work?
A mobile time clock allows employees to use a device like their cellphone to clock in and out during their work shift.
Managers can add geolocation settings so that employees can clock in only if they are at the workplace.
Why Use a Mobile Time Clock?
A mobile time clock allows employees who have to travel for work to clock in and out wherever they are.
What Are the Advantages of a Mobile Time Clock?
The advantages of a mobile time clock include:
- Low cost
- The possibility of using geolocation
- The reduction of pay processing errors
A mobile time clock is a good solution for employers who need to manage employees who travel to different work locations. Industries in which mobile time clocks are the most common include:
What Are the Different Types of Time Clocks?
The various types of time clocks used in business are generally the following:
- Mobile time clock: mobile phone
- Time clocking chip reader: chip on badge, card or RFID token
- Mechanical punch clock: punch on a paper card
- Digital time clock: personal identification number (PIN)
- Biometric time clock: unique characteristics of the employees
- Landline time clock: fixed phone
- Time clock using RFID or bar code: chip in card, token, or badge