What Are the Steps to Create a Staff Schedule?
- Checking employee availability including vacation requests and preferences;
- Evaluating organizational needs;
- Building shifts around employee availability, skill, and experience;
- Optimizing labor costs;
- Communicating the schedule;
- Managing conflicts such as mistakes or shift exchange between employees.
Due to its unpredictable nature, staff scheduling is a living process.. Managers are often required to go back and forth between the different steps to ensure that both individual employee and organizational needs are fulfilled as circumstances change.