How to Create an Employee Vacation Schedule?
Creating an employee vacation schedule is important to properly maintain the activities of a company despite a reduction in personnel. In order to accurately plan the vacation of the members of their team, managers must:
- Make a list of all the employees and their available PTO;
- Set up the vacation policy: maximum number of consecutive weeks off, maximum number of employees that can leave simultaneously, request priority, etc.;
- Establish a notice deadline for vacation requests;
- Find a process to review and approve or decline requests, usually a scheduling software;
- Create and publish the vacation schedule;
- Find substitutes if necessary.
For more information, please refer to the following article: How to Simplify Employee Leave Management.
What Is the Difference Between an Employee Vacation Schedule and a Leave Planner?
Employee vacation schedules and leave planners are synonymous terms that refer to a document or tool that centralizes the details surrounding the time off of the team members of a company.
How to Plan the Time Off of the Employees?
Time off requests can be managed with tools such as personalized Excel templates or scheduling software.
Personalized Excel templates are easy to use but often require a lot of fine-tuning. They are prone to errors and do not provide a solution to communicate with employees.
Scheduling software are specifically designed to simplify leave requests and to prevent scheduling mistakes. Time off requests are automatically added to the schedule upon approval. Employees have access to their updated schedule at all times. Such software are generally paid services, although many do feature free trials.